Every year when the Met Gala theme is unveiled to illustrious fanfare, I get excited and this years theme, Manus x Machina had me psyched; Fashion meets technology, man vs machines and how this translates into an entire, out of this world look, I had visions of Blade Runner meets Plato’s Atlantis and very high hopes.
It’s worth mentioning here that every year, as the first starlets begin to appear on the red carpet for the Met Gala, it’s evident that a huge proportion of them either, a. Didn’t get the memo. b. Got the memo and paid it no heed, or, c. Think they’re so freaking fabulous that the memo doesn’t apply to them.
However, to restore your faith in fashion, and celebrating those who can actually interpret and dress to a theme, I’ve put together my picks from the Met Gala 2016 (don’t worry Voyeurs, there’s a special post coming for the downright awful). The best are those who really embraced the Manus x Machina theme with their look and looked flippin’ aces in doing so. These starlets should be praised for not only having eyes and being able to read, but for also being brave and looking beauts for our viewing pleasure. Feast your eyes on these futuristic treasures…..
- My ultimate favourite and residing at the number one spot: Poppy Delevingne, early on the red carpet and possibly the most memorable, for this spangly, beaded and probably pretty noisy effort, Poppy I salute you…
2. Jourdan Dunn. One word, just wow. From the first glimpse on the balcony of The Standard Hotel, to the entrance on to the red carpet, Miss Dunn knew this Balmain dress would turn heads and her grey tinted hair & silver smoked lids were the perfect accoutrement to this awesome display of event dressing. Kudos JD.
3. Claire Danes scores points for the sheer unexpectedness of this bespoke Zac Posen creation. The very definition of fashion meeting technology, this dress gave off an effervescent glow in the dark, if the Met Gala did Big Fat Gypsy Weddings, this would be the equivalent of Thelma Medine’s butterfly gown. Total Swoon - at the Zac Posen, not the Thelma Medine, because that would be cray.
4. In fourth place, it’s a surprising entry, Kim Kardashian West. Now Voyeurs, you all know I’m not Kim’s biggest fan but credit where it’s due, this is a knock out dress and it’s completely on theme, from the futuristic accessories and the slicked back hair, to the robotic armour like frock. As Gabrielle Chanel always said, when accessorising, one should remove the last piece before leaving the house in order to feel properly dressed and I can’t help but feel this rings true here - Kim, leave Kanye at home next time, denim, cuban heels and weird contacts do not a style icon make.
5. Kristen Stewart. I love this girl. I think she’s a fashion enigma, I adore her fuck it attitude to fashion and her total unwillingness to comply. She bucks trends and creates new ones in doing so. I’d turn for this girl, yes, I love her that much. Debuting a brand new bleached ‘do, Kristen dressed head to toe in Chanel (natch) and wore a beauty look straight off the SS16 runway better than the models. Good work K-Stew - See me after class. Cue wink face emoji….
6. Double threat Zayn Malik & #HuffyHadid are ranking pretty high for this matching ensemble of robotic-chicness. “Zayn, this god damn manicure cost me $2000 dollars, I’m getting it in the shot so hold still” Gigi was overheard saying on the red carpet, probably. Weird poses aside, the look is totes on point however #HuffyHadid has spoilt my collage by (fake) smiling in a picture and for that I can never forgive her. Hmph.
7. Kendall Jenner, for daring to be different, yet remaining the same. It’s trick she pulls off time and time again by wearing unexpected colour combos in old faithful styles. This cutout mosaic dress looked like mirror tiles when she walked and looked phenomenal against the see of metallic silver gowns. Her boobjob was made for this gown, maybe not specifically but it fit like a glove and although you can’t tell from Cindy’s Botox filled face, I think she liked it too.
8. A surprising entry from Nicole Kidman, but then whoever wore this stellar Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen creation was going to score huge style points. You’ll no doubt remember it for its dramatic runway appearance and the drama is ten fold on the red carpet, with its billowing cape and cutout sides, it’s freaking showstopper for all the right reasons.
9. Ok now before you dive in with any comments on this one Voyeurs, just remember that I know Taliah personally.
Never one to shy away from making a statement through performance or fashion, FKA Twigs has garnered a super loyal army of fans and this Manus x Machina interpretation was no different with some hailing it as he best look ever. Personally, I think this is tame for Twigs but my guess is she was showcasing the tattoos and accessories. Either way, she took the theme and put her own Twigs spin on it and it worked.
10. Yup Voyeurs, this really is the third of the Kardashian / Jenner Klan to appear in my top ten. It was a difficult choice between Alessandra Ambrosio and Kylie, but due to Kylie’s sheer determination, she just clinched it. She showed up on the red carpet with a sleek new bob - we like this, a lot - and a toned down make up look for her first ever Met Gala appearance and even threw some shade, but all eyes were on THAT Balmain dress. The dress weighed so much that after the event, Kylie was left bloodied, bruised and crying - not even jokes - and for that kind of commitment she gets the number ten spot. Bravo Kylie.
Special Credit: Florence Welsh and the Gucci Crew. For being a true underdog, Florence is a risk taker, despite having a quirky signature style, she sits outside of the box rather than firmly in it and Alessandro Michele has had a hand in elevating her style status recently since making her his muse. Florence gives hope to girls everywhere, demonstrating that flashing flesh isn’t the only option. Totes helps that she’s ginger.
Looking back over the pictures, there were actually so many good outfits that fit the theme this year and the Manus x Machina theme is props my most favourite to date but don’t worry my dear #Voyeurs, there’s a post on it’s way rounding up the worst offenders and a special one dedicated to the atrocity that was Taylor Swift.